Saturday, May 21, 2011
10:00 – 1:00
National Archives at Atlanta
5780 Jonesboro Rd, Morrow, GA 30260
FREE PUBLIC EVENT
– Lt. General Joseph Peterson, Japanese American WWII 442nd Regiment Veterans
– Kevin Pratt, National Archives specialist on Military Records
– Presentation on Asian Pacific American veterans experiences
– Presentation by the Augusta Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association incorporated in 1927
– Exhibition of Oldest Asian American community in the Southeast with highlights of APA veterans and additional APA groups
– Book Design Contest on APA Customs Award Ceremony
– Performances by Asian Pacific American youth and professional artists
– Come with photographs and stories to share about your Asian Pacific American family veterans
– StoryCorps Atlanta will be recording stories of Asian Pacific Americans in the US South for US Library of Congress archives
Active and retired military invited to celebrate Asian Pacific American Heritage Month. Please RSVP at email@example.com for special recognition at the event.
2011 Asian Pacific American Heritage Month @ National Archives at Atlanta
Also come learn about:
– Filipino American veteran fight for WWII pension rights and the Filipino Veterans Equity Act
– Importance of US Military for Vietnamese American Communities
– Significant role of Punjabi Sikh Bhagat Singh Thind in the 1920s had in the fight for US citizenship during the Chinese Exclusion & Asian Exclusion era
– Florida Alien Land Law – last and only alien land law still on the books
– Chinese American solidiers, the War Brides Act, and the evolution of Chinese American families with the war
– How can you and your families access National Archives military records?
– How can you document and preserve your family history & community organization’s history?